His body isn’t even cold yet and the New York times has already put out a shameful article declaring Nelson Mandela to be an “icon of peaceful resistance”. News outlets around the Western world are hurrying to publish obituaries that celebrate his electoral victory while erasing the protracted and fierce guerrilla struggle that he and his party were forced to fight in order to make that victory possible. Don’t let racist, imperialist liberalism co-opt the legacy of another radical. Nelson Mandela used peaceful means when he could, and violent means when he couldn’t. For this, during his life they called him a terrorist, and after his death they’ll call him a pacifist — all to neutralize the revolutionary potential of his legacy, and the lessons to be drawn from it.
Don’t fucking let them.
Hey guys, here’s another spastic update from a coffee shop!
- I have totally given up. I am going to my last classes tomorrow. I guess.
- I have to go re-take that drug test tomorrow or saturday so I can start this fucking job. I have a physical an hour away at 8AM on the 17th, and then I start the 30th. I’ve decided that my last day at the pizza shop is December 20 because…
- I am officially dating this dude and we are taking a brief trip to D.C. to meet up with my aunt and be totally trashy in another city.
- I’ve gotten some messages asking for more information. I would love to gush the specifics and post lots of pictures all over the internet and give you guys his social security number and shit but it’s not a good idea. He spends a lot of time performing publicly and there is really no reason to associate him personally with the blog - we literally had a conversation about this in a Denny’s the other day. But we will call him A.J., ok?
- I went off my psych meds. Before I get judgmental messages about how I’m fucking up, I am absolutely certain this was the right decisions based on the health issues I was experiencing on the meds. I am doing fine.
- I am trying to figure out how to start lifting again once I start my job. I have to leave for work at 6:45 AM and will get home in the neighborhood of 5 PM. That means I’ll have ~6 hours before I have to sleep. I might keep exercise to the weekends/light days. I don’t know, it’s going to take some getting used to.
- Things are generally really good! I am done in a week! Woohoo!
Had to take a drug test today and couldn’t pee. Why god, why.
Still alive. Three days of class left and then finals week. Will update more after, I swear. I miss all of you guys :[
I am thankful for the 2500 miles between me and my mother, and the 450 between me and my father’s side of the family.
I am thankful that I get to eat food at stranger’s houses without any of the pressures of actually having to please them because they aren’t my family.
I am thankful that I have friends who will drag my broke ass to their family’s houses for no-strings-attached food shoveling.
I am thankful that I am am aware of how awful and racist and oppressive this bullshit holiday is, and vocal enough that I will bring it up all day.
I am thankful that my luck has not run out yet.
I am thankful for the rad people in my life - Anna, Mike, Laurie, AJ, Nose Cat, Nick, etc. Yes I just counted my cat as a person.
I am thankful for all of the people I’ve met on Tumblr who I get to interact with off of Tumblr because friends are cool and stuff
I am thankful for the $9 still in my bank account because I can get junk food to slam on in between now and 4 o’clock when I get to eat.